[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "Light bulb moment" about tail chasing....

  • From: FAITHFULNANNY4@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:53:29 EST

In a message dated 3/30/2005 11:16:58 A.M. Central Standard Time,
Elsyd1@xxxxxxx writes:
Tail chasing has nothing to do with crating, in  my opinion. I had 3  tail=

chasers many years ago. They were  related, and were never crated except i=
a car or at a show.  They all had lots of room and attention. ONe was a ho=
use  dog,

they started at various ages, (all young), one had to be euthanized,  he
broke his hip spinning, all had naked raw tails, I could  list the methods=
tried, not enough room or energy. Gave one  away, he finished, never stopp=
ed
chasing his tail, had to be  watched 24/7. I spent literally thousands of =
dollars
trying to  stop this, 5 vets had a shot at it. If you see a puppy chasing =
his
tail non-stop, be very afraid.  Syd
=3D

I agree with the fact that the crate is not the reason for  the dog chasin=
his or her tail. My Shepherd has not been in a create much  at all, and ha=
s the
free run of the house and is exercised outside daily.  He is a house dog, =
and
prefers being inside the house, more than  outside. I think the tail chasi=
ng
is a bad habit that they develop,  but I do not know what the Scientific c=
ause
is. I did not know  exactly how to stop my Pup from chasing his tail, unti=
l I
accidentally  discovered he did not like the smell of Vicks Vapor Rub that=
had been  using while ill. I thought it might be worth my while to apply a=

small  amount on his tail and see if that will prevent him from chasing hi=
s tail.
 This turned out to be a Great idea, because he did stop chasing his tail,=

due to his dislike of the smell of the Vicks Vapor rub. The desire to  cha=
se
his tail is still there, and I have to redirect his thought, or  else, thi=
s bad
habit will continue. My Dog had chased his tail until he  had all of the t=
ail
hairs chewed out by catching his own tail, until I  started applying the V=
icks
Vapor rub to deter this behavior. I don't agree  that tail chasing is deri=
ved
from being in a create too much, because as I  said, my dog has not been
created much at all. And he has plenty of toys  of all kinds to stimulate =
his
mind, in all kinds of ways. He is given  lots of TLC from me and my husban=
d, but
seems to still want to be even  more active. I really think it is the
Shepherd's desire to be a working  animal, that when he or she is sitting =
idle and not
doing something to  stimulate there brain to work, then they get in a rut =
and
do things,  like chasing their tail, when they would rather be outside
running,  exploring, or working sheep, etc. I hope that you will be able t=
o  find a
way to stop the tail chasing with your dog.

Francine Martin