[ SHOWGSD-L ] L.A. specialty

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:17:01 -0400

Ok, don't ask for results.  I don't have them since I was busy socializing.
Well, and showing.  Socializing because Iive 10 minutes from the park and I
invited some of my obedience students, clients and other breed show friends.  I
wanted to share with you all some of the feedback from them.

None had ever been to a GSD specialty.  A couple show other breeds, some were
pet owners and one owns one of my pups.  First, I want to thank everyone that
took the time to talk to them.  Folks came by as we were talking and shared
some stories and nuggets of information on the breed.  This had such a positive
impact on their experience.

The feedback was great.  They were fascinated with the dogs and the handlers
and why we do the things we do, like double handling.  The pet people asked
some very intelligent questions regarding the whole show structure, how it
works, and about AKC.  The show people were amazed at how interactive and noisy
the whole thing can be, LOL!

Two things were very telling.  One asked about the "CKC" registry that pet
stores and such use to advertise "purebred" dogs.  Another asked why they never
hear about local dog shows and only see these fancy dogs at Eukanuba or
Westminster.  They didn't even know there was a way to get started locally or
even how to find a show dog.  They didn't even know there was such a thing as a
show dog.  My point is:  They were interested enough to ask about it and that
is a good thing :-)

So, how do we get the word out there about showing dogs and having fun and
competing with your dogs, to be as compelling as the "adopt a pet" campaigns
that are so prevelant?

It was a great day because I think we all educated some people and I saw a
couple folks fall in love with the dogs they met today.  Thank you again, for
all of you that took the time to talk to my friends.

And, it was great to see Stormy at the show :-)

Laura