[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: KATRINA ANIMLAS

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dir@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:55:30 -0700 (PDT)

Sandi;
many "shelters" are selling animals to laboratories for experimentation...I
assume some of these may be from the Katrina catastrophe.
I have called and spoken directly to the ACO's of these facilities, and their
excuse is that there is not enough funding in the budget to house and feed the
dogs that are comming in....they need to make a few dollars on selling less
adoptable (?) dogs and cats to the labs to support the ones they keep.
I find this reprehensible in this day and age of computer technology. Many of
our larger colleges are now utilizing virtual dissection for their biology
courses...and there have been enormous strides in the medical field with regard
to animal testing.
Even Wyeth Ayerst, one of the largest drug companies in the country, has
dismantled its Premarin farms and is selling off the mares who have lived for
their whole lives on a "pee line", tied up, bred and had their babies torn from
them at just days old and sold off to slaughter.
My honest opinion....there is no need for this kind of ghoulish, barbaric
treatment of helpless creatures...
Dawn

Dorothy, and no this aint Kansas