[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Judges critiques

  • From: "D.D. and Bonnie Ardoin" <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>, <BJBuie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:50:49 -0500

My first assignment, after my provisionals were done, was Topline in 1976.
I did bitches and Bob Freeny did dogs.  I definitely remember critiquing
first through fourth in the Open Class which was the class with the winners
bitch.  I am not sure if I critiqued first through fourth in the other
classes or just the first place.  In those days you called them like you saw
them.  You described what you liked about each animal also what you found
faulty or lacking in each animal critiqued.  In doing this, you stepped on a
few toes but an honest opinion was what people wanted and if you were way
off on you analysis of an animal it was obvious from what you had to say
about its virtues and faults.  Your lack of knowledge (or ignorance) showed
up in your critique.  Anyone can say how beautiful an animal was or that you
would like to take it home but there has never been a perfect German
Shepherd Dog and comparison of the exhibits is how a judge determines
placements.  Multiple evaluations in a class should include the reasons the
second animal was second instead of first, etc.  You can evaluate an animal
without stepping on toes.  Look at Morton Goldfarb`s critiques as an
example.