[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting legislation....

  • From: Colleen Donnelly <gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 05:49:07 -0400 (EDT)

I am tired and about to hit head to pillow but I did pick up on this one
statement "6 litters a year is NOT a lot!!!!! "

Whaaaatttt???  6 litters a year is NOT a breeding facility that has alot of
hands on time with dogs.... it is a puppy mill. That is NOT a facility that is
breeding for the betterment of the breed.

If in fact we are speaking of animals that are sentient beings, like us human
animals, canines are also sentient beings. NO ONE can give all those brood
bitches, studs and pups as much time as they deserve!.

Are you saying Ginger, that you are okay with this?  Good god man, you have to
stand for something! You can't be all for it....

I would LOVE to hear other people's opinions on this .
RihadinK9@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 5/31/2005 4:52:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:
Do any
of our listers have 7 or more litters a year?

" The bill also brings under federal regulation breeders who sell
exclusively
at retail if they whelp 7 or more litters per year. (The law already covers
breeders who sell puppies at wholesale.)"

http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=25

American Kennel Club - News

Ahhh... but one needs to read the "fine print"!

Did anyone else notice Santorium wants to take away breeders rights to a
normal due process of law? That little part about the USDA Lawyers being
allowed
to get injunctions against breeders without going through a DA. That means
they don't have to prove anything, and they don't have to charge you with
anything. If the USDA guy or gal doesn't like you that inspection day, good-by
doggies. If you think that USDA inspectors don't quibble over small things that
have nothing to do with the dogs, think again. Or better yet go talk to some
who are USDA licensed. They will make you get rid of old machinery or
anything the inspector considers clutter in your yard. It doesn't matter if the
dogs
are no where near your other stuff. They will make you get rid of it.
USDA does things like come in and tell you to euthanize old or
sick dogs, who are under vet care. It doesn't matter if you just
spent several hundreds at the vets office on the animal, you are
forced to euthanize it. USDA inspectors write you up, if they catch
you with any puppies in the house. They write you up if your children left
gloves or boots sitting on a puppy cage.

Then of course there is the "II) derives not more than $500 gross income
from the sale of other animals."

Now, I don't know about the rest of you but ONE of my puppies goes for more
than $500.

There is NOTHING good about this bill, and AKC is perfectly willing to sell
us out, to "get along" with the ARistas. This bill needs to be killed!
PERIOD!

We also need to take a good hard look at what these regulations are trying
to achieve. If Mr Santorum is simply worried about Amish puppy farms then the
simple answer is to re-examine the required standards of care. If these
regulations are simply to control all breeders, small or large, commercial or
private, then he should admit it! 6 litters a year is NOT a lot!!!!! And it is
not the NUMBER that counts. Oh yes, today we have people brainwashed into
thinking that anyone who breeds more than one a litter a year is an
evil money grubbing scumbag - sorry guys, it just aint so! There are people
that should never breed ONE litter a year - and others that can comfortably
breed several. Unfortunately in recent years too many people in the show dog
world have bought into the AR concept that Breeding Is Bad and that the fewer
litters you breed the better, and if you DARE breed more than "they" think
is righteous, your entrails will be flame broiled by net!

Remember that old song....." it aint what you do, but the way that you do
it" ? Well, that applies in the dog world as well as anywhere - it is not how
often you breed, how many litters OR how few, it is HOW you do it that counts.
As soon as we can ALL grasp that concept, we might just make headway in
stemming the tide of anti-breeder legislation.

WHAT CAN YOU DO NOW
PAWS has not yet been assigned to committees in the Senate or House.
Watch for Legislative Alerts and Action Updates online. These will be posted
on the CFA list and CFA website
_ _http://www.cfainc.org/exhibitors/index.html_
(http://www.cfainc.org/exhibitors/index.html) _
(http://www.cfainc.org/exhibitors/index.html)
Read the press release posted by AKC 5/26/05
_www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=2513_
(http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=2513)

Read what Senator Santorum has to say - click on "Press Releases" 5/26/05
_http://santorum.senate.gov/public/_ (http://santorum.senate.gov/public/)
Keep up with articles and press releases from HSUS, DDAL posted on 5/26/05
(_http://www.ddal.org/puppymills/_ (http://www.ddal.org/puppymills/) )
(_http://www.hsus.org/_ (http://www.hsus.org/) )
_http://www.fund.org/home.html_ (http://www.fund.org/home.html)
Contact Senator Rick Santorum â?? 202-224-6324
Or by email through his website â?? _http://santorum.senate.gov/_
(http://santorum.senate.gov/)

Here's a rough draft of what to do. I'll post revisions and details as
they become available.

1. Forward this email to every list where purebred dog breeders
and/or others concerned about quality dogs, hang out.

2. Talk to your club officers. If they understand the problems,
encourage them to start a club program of contacting the AKC --
there's info below. Also -- VERY IMPORTANT -- have them
instruct your club's AKC delegate (if you have one) to strongly
oppose the AKC's foolish action in supporting this bill.

3. If you know one or more AKC Board Members, tell them you're
not happy. THE BOARD MAKES AKC POLICY -- do not listen to
"Oh, management said we had to do this." If a majority of the
board doesn't like the AKC helping HSUS to end American pets,
then it's over.

4. Contact friends, talk to others at shows and meetings.

5. Write emails and letters to as many of the contacts below as
you can. The more action we have right away, the better the
chance we can reverse the AKC's position on this.

AKC CONTACTS:

Chairman Ronald H. Menaker is the very top of the AKC power
structure. His email address and phone number don't seem to be
officially available -- if you know one or both, email me and I'll
include them in a future edition. Chmn. Menaker can be reached
by snail mail at the AKC's New York address:

The American Kennel Club
260 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016

Ginger Cleary, Dallas, GA_ http://www.rihadin.com _

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG BREED BETTERMENT REGISTRY

The only way to understand & estimate the nature of the dog is to study his
whole development. Such a task requires a sympathetic, dog-loving observer, who
tries as far as possible to enter into the innermost mind of the dog, and who
will know how to short-circuit all his purely human points of view. --Max von
Stephanitz

http://mail.yahoo.com