[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting legislation....

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 04:14:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/2005 4:52:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:
Do any
of our listers have 7 or more litters a year?

" The bill also  brings under federal regulation breeders who sell
exclusively
at retail if  they whelp 7 or more litters per year. (The law already covers
breeders  who sell puppies at  wholesale.)"

http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=25

American  Kennel Club - News

Ahhh... but one needs to read the "fine print"!

Did anyone else notice Santorium wants to take away breeders rights to  a
normal due process of law? That little part about the USDA Lawyers being
allowed
to get injunctions against breeders without going through a DA. That  means
they don't have to prove anything, and they don't have to charge you with
anything. If the USDA guy or gal doesn't like you that inspection day, good-by
doggies. If you think that USDA inspectors don't quibble over small things that

have nothing to do with the dogs, think again. Or better yet go talk to some
who  are USDA licensed. They will make you get rid of old machinery or
anything the  inspector considers clutter in your yard. It doesn't matter if
the dogs
are no  where near your other stuff. They will make you get rid of it.
USDA does things like come in and tell you to euthanize old or
sick  dogs, who are under vet care. It doesn't matter if you just
spent several  hundreds at the vets office on the animal, you are
forced to euthanize it.  USDA inspectors write you up, if they catch
you with any puppies in the  house. They write you up if your children left
gloves or boots sitting on a  puppy cage.

Then of course there is the "II) derives not more than $500 gross  income
from the sale of other animals."

Now, I don't know about the rest of you but ONE of my puppies goes for  more
than $500.

There is NOTHING good about this bill, and AKC is perfectly willing to  sell
us out, to "get along" with the ARistas.  This bill needs to be  killed!
PERIOD!

We also need to take a good hard look at what these regulations are  trying
to achieve. If Mr Santorum is simply worried about Amish puppy farms then  the
simple answer is to re-examine the required standards of care. If these
regulations are simply to control all breeders, small or large, commercial or
private, then he should admit it!  6 litters a year is NOT a lot!!!!! And  it
is
not the NUMBER that counts. Oh yes, today we have people brainwashed into
thinking that anyone who breeds more than one a litter a year is an
evil  money grubbing scumbag - sorry guys, it just aint so! There are people
that  should never breed ONE litter a year - and others that can comfortably
breed  several.  Unfortunately in recent years too many people in the show dog
world have bought into the AR concept that Breeding Is Bad and that the fewer
 litters you breed the better, and if you DARE breed more than "they" think
is righteous, your entrails will be flame broiled by net!

Remember that old song....." it aint what you do, but the way that  you do
it" ? Well, that applies in the dog world as well as anywhere - it is not  how
often you breed, how many litters OR how few, it is HOW you do it that  counts.
As soon as we can ALL grasp that concept, we might just make headway in
stemming the tide of anti-breeder legislation.

WHAT CAN YOU DO NOW
PAWS has not yet been assigned to   committees in the Senate or House.
Watch for Legislative   Alerts and Action Updates online.  These will be posted
on the CFA list  and  CFA website
_ _http://www.cfainc.org/exhibitors/index.html_
(http://www.cfainc.org/exhibitors/index.html)   _
(http://www.cfainc.org/exhibitors/index.html)
Read the press  release posted by  AKC 5/26/05
_www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=2513_
(http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=2513)

Read what Senator Santorum has to  say - click on "Press Releases"  5/26/05
_http://santorum.senate.gov/public/_ (http://santorum.senate.gov/public/)
Keep up with articles and press  releases from HSUS, DDAL posted  on 5/26/05
(_http://www.ddal.org/puppymills/_ (http://www.ddal.org/puppymills/) )
(_http://www.hsus.org/_ (http://www.hsus.org/) )
_http://www.fund.org/home.html_ (http://www.fund.org/home.html)
Contact Senator Rick Santorum â??  202-224-6324
Or by email  through his website â??  _http://santorum.senate.gov/_
(http://santorum.senate.gov/)

Here's a rough draft of what to do.   I'll post revisions and  details as
they become available.

1.  Forward this email to every  list where purebred dog breeders
and/or others concerned about quality dogs,  hang out.

2.  Talk to your club officers.    If they understand the problems,
encourage them to start a club program of  contacting the AKC --
there's info below.   Also -- VERY IMPORTANT  -- have them
instruct your club's AKC delegate (if you have one) to strongly
oppose the AKC's foolish action in supporting this bill.

3.  If  you know one or more AKC Board Members, tell them you're
not  happy.   THE BOARD MAKES AKC POLICY -- do not listen to
"Oh,  management said we had to do this."   If a majority of the
board  doesn't like the AKC helping HSUS to end American pets,
then it's  over.

4.  Contact friends, talk to others at shows and  meetings.

5.  Write emails and letters to as many of the contacts  below as
you can.   The more action we have right away, the better  the
chance we can reverse the AKC's position on this.

AKC  CONTACTS:

Chairman Ronald H. Menaker is the very top of the AKC power
structure.   His email address and phone number don't seem to be
officially available -- if you know one or both, email me and I'll
include them in a future edition.   Chmn. Menaker can be reached
by snail mail at the AKC's New York address:

The American Kennel  Club
260 Madison Avenue
New York, NY  10016

Ginger  Cleary, Dallas, GA_ http://www.rihadin.com _