[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: IMPORTANT Fw: chipper shredder

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: djdistilli@xxxxxxxxxxx, shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:24:00 EDT

Jodi, excellent point.  I use Tractor Supply shavings if/when I have a
litter.  They are pine, kiln dried, very low dust and no resin.  I  think I pay
+/- $6 a bag.

I DO have a (DR) chipper, and seeing what comes out of that, I would NEVER
use it for the dogs!  My ground is very wooded and it's a struggle to keep
things neat, so, yes, chippers are cool things to have. The chips go right
back  in the woods to keep down weeds/young plants etc.  The pieces are
sometimes  sharp though, they are wet and God only knows what's in the branches
that  fall. Bugs definitely!  We wear big gloves, goggles and long sleeves
etc. when chipping.

As far as re-cycling "used" pine shavings, I actually throw solid waste in
the trash.  Wet shavings go back in the woods but not in the dog's fenced
in area.  I don't use them as mulch b-cause dog urine isn't good for
plants, etc.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 7/31/2009 3:12:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
djdistilli@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Talking  about this chipper/shredder and I realized this.  I think it's
important  to read.  Here's my thought:
Actually, just thinking about this now,  aren't the wood shavings that you
buy "clean" so there would be no  worry/little worry about bacteria, fungus
and putting that in with puppies or  dogs.  I think of this because this
morning while I was waiting for my  last puppy's people to arrive (other than
my little long-haired guy), I was  cutting up the twigs and logs from a storm
that we had, and one branch I  picked up had black slime on it.  This
branch was covered with SOMETHING.  Ew. It has been piled up on my paved
driveway, so not like it's been sitting  and festering in mud.  I was sure to
thoroughly wash my hands before  going anywhere near my puppies.

I also remember one year my aunt, who  lives down near Doylestown, was
telling me that she got "a deal" on mulch for  her flowers and apparently there
was some sort of fungus or something in that  mulch that killed most all of
her flowers, some perennials, too.

So, I  suppose one might want to think about chipping your own.  I just
don't  know.  An educated guess would be that if limbs/trees fall down in
storms, they weren't too strong to begin with, for the most part, of course
and
maybe are infected with something.

Gosh, that would be horrible for  the puppies.  Adult dogs, don't know,
maybe a little more  tolerant.

Jodi Distilli
www.dinovagsd.com