[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hybrids

  • From: Joan M Tuthill <tutslist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:24:49 -0800 (PST)

My answer to pet people about "mix/mutts" are healthier...

"Where is the proof of this?
Pure breed dog breeders / clubs keep records via the OFA and other health
screening programs. Where are the statistics for the mixed breed dogs? Where is
the proof of how old your mixed breed dogs parents lived to be? How many of
their relatives had hip dysplasia? How many had heart problems, eye problems,
who were the great grandparents of the mixed breed dog? Who bred that dogs
grand parents?"
"No written records are kept for these dogs from one generation to the next -
so how can you say they are healthier?"

Well, that's my response to that statement....it really does make them stop and
think, many come back and say thank-you for giving them this food for thought
or new insight....
Now, back to lurking, Actually I was cleaning out my mailbox before I get set
to no mail again..

JMT
lollark@xxxxxxx wrote:
That (mix/mutt are healthier than purebreds) is the folk wisdom of the day.
I've had many many people say that to me as they look at my beautiful dogs.
Health information might be a good bullet point to our increase knowledge
campaign if we develop such a thing.
Karen Lollar
-------------- Original message from "Sally" : --------------

> not only do people think they are getting something rare with these combo
> dogs but vets tell them mixed breeds are healthier then purebreds
>
> sally

> POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original
> kind

> MANNER
> ALL

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Joan M Tuthill
Tuthill Shepherds based in CT.
Not ashamed of my doggies, my club, or our accomplishments.....