[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Honest Judges, shows

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 01:03:26 EST

In a message dated 1/2/2005 10:05:25 PM Central Standard Time,
DstnGSD1@xxxxxxx writes:
Tom do you really think WDA type shows are drawing from specialty shows or
are young people attracted to performance venues. jim  york
I'm sure they are drawing some from specialty shows, and more accurately they
are probably drawing young people who might otherwise have done specialty
shows.  Contrary to your suggestion that they are drawn to performance venues
and contrary to Christine's suggestion that this is a gender based situation,
I believe they are going both to all breeds and to WDA shows because they
believe those venues are less expensive, more friendly to strangers, and
because
they feel they can compete better there.  I say that without even considering
the quality of the dog.  I have seen some very nice all breed dogs that could
have competed well in specialties under different circumstances.  I've told
people that a specific dog or bitch they are showing in the all breeds could be
their big specialty winner, but one opinion is never enough to overcome their
perception of the specialty ring.

We manage to believe whatever we want to, but its hard to ignore comments
from the very folks we are talking about as they tell their stories.  The fact
is, it does take a lot of money and a usually difficult persuading a top
handler
to show your dog in order to win consistently in the specialty system.  I
don't know why anyone would disagree, since most of us at one time or another
has
told someone to get a top handler if they want to do well in a specialty
ring.

Tom Langlitz