[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD temperament and rep

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:05:32 -0400

Yeah, "foo-foo" dogs often display the most crate aggression of all and it can
et irritating at times, but they don't have the impressive bark of a German
hepherd.  Also, in most circumstances, they do not have the power to inflict
erious or even fatal injuries.

I disagree.  All dogs can inflict serious injury.  Owners need to recognize if
their dogs are crate aggressive and make sure they do not have the opportunity
to incite other dogs.

At an AB show a few years ago, I was walking my girl and returning to my vendor
booth when a couple Boston Terriers, who were very crate aggressive, broke out
of their crate and went after my girl.  They attacked her.  If not for the
actions of some other vendors, it could've been ugly.  The humans ran at the
Bostons as one attached itself to my girls hock.  He let go and they both ran
over to an Anatolian shepherd.  The Boston owner did nothing.  The vendors
blocked the dogs until the owner came to get them.  Now, if either my girl or
the Anatolian had one of those dogs for lunch, who would've been at fault?

The owner was a major A** and when I asked him afterward to turn his dogs away
from the aisle, he went off on me.  His dogs were still slamming against the
crate door.  My girl got between us and stood her ground.  He tried to say I
had a viscious dog and to call her off.  This man, over 6' tall, squared off on
me and clenched his fists.  No way I was going to call her off.  I told him to
leave.  Long story short, there was a bench hearing and he was suspended from
AKC for 6mos.

Never underestimated the ferocity of the little guy, LOL!

Laura