[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: Re: terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx has shared: Dog Auctions

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 13:55:23 -0800

Well, it's Saturday, and I've caught up a little with stuff, so I'll
see what I can stir up here.

Morgan, what makes you think that ALL commercial breeders don't give a
damn about the health or genetics of their dogs/pups?   Believe me, a
few years ago, that is what I thought, too, but I let myself open to
be educated and have learned, just like occasional breeders (because
that's what most of you are), there are excellent, good, fair and poor
commercial breeders.  There are more industry initiated standards for
a LOT of commercial breeders. Many of the organizations/associations
are policing themselves.   There are more seminars and conferences
discussing good health/genetics, kennel care for commercial breeders
(which are heavily attended!) than there are for occasional breeders.

They aren't breeding for the conformation rings (and when they have a
conformation show, you are right... I laugh, too), they are breeding
what the public will buy.  And without the commercial breeders, where
will the 77.5 million dogs that are owned in the U.S. come from?
Well, there are the occasional breeders that have a dog and another
dog of the same breed (or close) lives down the street... or they let
the dog loose, and it comes home in whelp.   OR... there are over
500,000 dogs being imported (legally) from countries like Korea,
China, Mexico...from kennels that are not USDA inspected or watched.
(And yes, USDA needs more in their Budget to have more inspectors,
etc., etc.)

OR the pup buyers can buy their pups AT the swap meets or off the back
of trucks after they've been smuggled in,  more than 10,000 a year,
often at 5 weeks and sometimes hidden in some pretty awful places.

"http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/Veterinary+news/Inside-the-black-market/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/662872
We have found puppies stuffed in speaker boxes, screwed into the car
door panels and wrapped in blankets with their little legs taped to
their bodies and stuffed under seats,? says Captain Aaron Reyes of the
Southeast Animal Control Authority. ?On one occasion, we found, I
believe, a dozen puppies in a plastic container in the back of car.
Two of the puppies had already died because of the heat, and all of
the others were panting and doing severe mouth breathing. They were
cooking in there, and they were about 5 weeks old.?

Let's work with the commercial breeders that are trying to do the
right thing... whether it's the way WE would raise a pup or not.
Let's educate ourselves and maybe we can learn that they would be glad
to help us fight the ARS... somebody from whom we are all in danger.

I am ready for the arguments now:-)

Storm

On Dec 11, 2010, at 1:26 PM, MORGAN LEWIS wrote:

We have seen more and more high quality dogs in rescue. But many of
these dogs
in auctions are from Commeral breeders that could give a damn about
health or
genetics. There is also a NET advertising high quality dogs (One just
from Missouri Breeders) after looking at many of the pics and prices
($1,500 and
up) I could have laughed if it were not so sad.

Morgan  Lewis, RPh.
Member GSDCA
Board Member Canine Pet  Rescue
http://www.caninepetrescue.com/