[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fwd: Re: terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx has shared: Dog Auctions

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>, DaList gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:46:07 -0800

For years, the occasional breeders have decried the commercial
kennels, while continuing to create less and less pups for the
public.  (I "only" breed every so often, and all my pups are sold on a
s/n contract, etc.)  Breeders who breed a lot are called "puppy
mills," without the understanding that the genetic diversity is being
reduced by the "good" breeders who are breeding less and less.
Perhaps the commercial kennels are keeping the genetic diversity up,
actually... something to think about.

The commercial breeders were prime targets for the ARs, and we helped
them by our own attitudes toward them creating a divisiveness.  At a
point where the occasional breeder could have been inclusive and
worked with the commercial breeders to educate about genetics and
health, the occasional breeder reviled and turned their backs.   The
ARs took the words "puppy mill" and are now broadening it to anybody
who breeds.   (In the meeting last week, the parting shot of a more
rabid AR towards the hard working good kennel owners and breeders was
"There's a word for anybody who has over 50 breeding dogs and it  is a
"puppy mill.  You people are a drain on society!"  Ordinances and laws
are looking at 10 intact dogs as a commercial facility now.

The commercial breeders are working on their PR and it probably would
be good if we occasional breeders would educate ourselves so that we
don't fall into the trap of helping the ARs target them.

Actually, regarding the 1/2 million imported dogs, restrictions on the
age of the pups were written into the 2008 Farm Bill.  The regulations
on that have not yet been written!!!!   The pups are supposed to be 6
months old before they can be imported except for personal imports
(like on of us bringing in a couple of dogs for personal use).  BUT
the law in not being enforced because the rules aren't written.

By restricting the legal, inspected kennels of ANY size, we are
encouraging the legal and illegal non-inspected.   Some of this falls
on our own shoulders.... maybe a lot of it does.

Stormy

On Dec 11, 2010, at 3:47 PM, MORGAN LEWIS wrote:

All we ever see are the horrows of the big Commercial Kennels, maybe
they need to do a better PR; and yes I agree there are Good, Bad and
Ugly small kennels. We even had a few on one of our Genetic Groups.

Why in the World would the US Government allow 500,000 legally
imported dogs per year. I can understand Breeding STock, but 500,000
dogs is criminal!! As for 5,00/week illegals, don't get me started!!
And yet thousands of these poor beast are destroyed annally, some how
our priorities are screwed up.

Morgan  Lewis, RPh.
Member GSDCA
Board Member Canine Pet  Rescue