[ SHOWGSD-L ] Full Communication

  • From: ropajagsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 12:42:17 -0400 (EDT)

Interesting comments on this thread....My following comments do not relate to
this current thread specificaly just in a general related way....but it seems
that a couple of years ago, the question was asked on this list whether one
would keep and breed a dog that was achieving many awards in the conformation
ring but had produced  "serious" health problem(s)....surprisingly (at least to
me) many responded that they would continue the line...."because he was an
awesome dog and had won many awards - Fut/Mat, Select etc etc) and had produced
some potentially great dogs...and actually some of those "honored" dogs died
young as well.  I am aware that the more a dog is bred the more possiblity
there is to have "negatives" show up in the progeny, especially if he is bred
to multiple lines..I think it is the law of averages or something like
that...The one issue I do have is...if a breeder does a breeding, produces a
serious health issue and then REPEATS the same breeding; ...not just breeds the
dog to another line, that is acceptable when the selection of a mate is
carefully done as best you can when either full disclosure is not evident....or
in some cases the "issue" has never happened before...and THAT HAPPENS...It's
the repeat breedings of such dogs that bother me to varying degrees depending
on the "problem"....
Knowledge is Power....if something is known, than each of us can make our own
decisions and be accountable for our own actions... Just some thoughts on a
"rainy day in Georgia"...

Pauline Moon
www.ropajagsd.com