[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Flea Problems,

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:46:40 -0400

Here's a paragraph that is separate from the Ivermectin warning...  it
addresses Spinosad, the main ingredient in Comfortis......
  entire article (complete with references to Ivermectin) can be found here:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2768&S=1&SourceID=52
Peggy

Comfortis® tablets are beef flavored but contain pork protein. They should
not be a problem for dogs with beef allergy but could be a problem for a dog
with a pork allergy, rare as that might be.

Spinosad is best not used in pregnant or nursing females. During initial
testing, spinosad was given to pregnant and nursing mother dogs at doses
slightly above the recommended dose. Problems observed included loss of
litter during pregnancy, poor weight gain of puppies, and vomiting. Problems
did not occur after puppies reached age 14 weeks.

Spinosad should not be used in puppies under age 14 weeks.

Initial testing included use in dogs with pre-existing seizure disorders
with doses higher what are recommended. Some of these dogs broke with
seizures. It is unknown whether or not this was caused by the product. For
this reason, dogs with seizure disorders should probably use a different
flea control product.

SPINOSAD IS NOT APPROVED OR RECOMMENDED FOR USE IN CATS.