[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: FW: GSD Temperament Test

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Scharo777@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 20:20:30 -0400 (EDT)

Bob & also do demos of the temperament test when we do seminars for all
rounders who want to add shepherds. We try to avoid incidents life the one
below.
I was horrified at an all breed show when a judge approached a shepherd
bitch from the rear and patted her hard on the read while the poor bitch was
being baited.  Poor thing jumped out of her skin with surprise, as she had
not idea the judge was behind her.  Then was penalized for poor temperament
because the stupid judge thought she had "checked temperment"
Carol Moore
Scharo777@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 5/27/2014 3:16:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

To clarify, this is the letter that was  sent with parent club approval to
the director of judging operations.   The loose lead test, by the way, has
always been optional at AKC shows; the  letter was sent in response to
several inquiries from AKC field staff.   It was NOT initiated by the parent
club.
 We also sent them a copy of the  parent club DVD on the temperament test
which I have been told is being put on  the AKC website so that all breed
judges who wish to administer the test have  a better understanding of how it
should properly be conducted.We also include  demonstrations of a proper
temperament test at all parent club approved  seminars.I am always open to
suggestions about how we can better educate our  judges, let me know if you
have
any thoughts about improving the system.   Best, Sheree

American Kennel Club
Judging Operations
Tim  Thomas, Judging Operations Liaison

Dear Tim,
As Co-chair of the  Judges' Education Committee for the GSDCA I am writing
to advise you of our  position regarding the administration of the "loose
lead temperament test"  advocated by our parent club.
Strong temperament and good character as  described in our standard are of
paramount importance to us.  A German  Shepherd without good temperament is
incapable of performing any of the many  duties required of him.
Consequently, it is imperative that specimens  displaying poor temperament be
severely
penalized or, if necessary, excused  from the ring.
In an effort to help determine temperament, our club has  devised a
standardized format for temperament evaluation, i.e.  the  "loose lead"
temperament
test.  It is required at our National specialty  and at all
futurity/maturity events, and it is strongly recommended at all of  our
specialties.  A
copy of the video demonstrating this test is sent to  all judges who obtain
permit status in German Shepherds
We understand,  however, that in an all breed setting not all judges are
comfortable with  administering the test, and that all-breed shows present
many challenges both  in terms of venue and time constraints, and for those
reasons we consider it  optional, at the judges' discretion, at all breed
shows.  At the same  time, we cannot emphasize enough that poor temperament
must
be severely  penalized, and it is our hope that the AKC field staff will
help us impress  this upon aspiring judges.  I hope this is helpful to you and
am happy to  answer any questions you may have regarding this issue. Best
Regards, Sheree  MosesCo-Chair, Judges' Education, GSDCA

Also, I suggested that a  strongly worded letter from our parent club
temperament committee regarding  the importance of penalizing faults of
character
could be sent along with our  club packet to all judges who achieve permit
status, and I believe the  temperament committee is working on this.

POST  is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

http://showgsd.org/mail.html