[ SHOWGSD-L ] FW: GSD Temperament Test

  • From: Sheree Moses <shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 16:14:53 -0400

To clarify, this is the letter that was sent with parent club approval to the
director of judging operations.  The loose lead test, by the way, has always
been optional at AKC shows; the letter was sent in response to several
inquiries from AKC field staff.  It was NOT initiated by the parent club.  We
also sent them a copy of the parent club DVD on the temperament test which I
have been told is being put on the AKC website so that all breed judges who
wish to administer the test have a better understanding of how it should
properly be conducted.We also include demonstrations of a proper temperament
test at all parent club approved seminars.I am always open to suggestions about
how we can better educate our judges, let me know if you have any thoughts
about improving the system.  Best, Sheree

American Kennel Club
Judging Operations
Tim Thomas, Judging Operations Liaison

Dear Tim,
As Co-chair of the Judges' Education Committee for the GSDCA I am writing to
advise you of our position regarding the administration of the "loose lead
temperament test" advocated by our parent club.
Strong temperament and good character as described in our standard are of
paramount importance to us.  A German Shepherd without good temperament is
incapable of performing any of the many duties required of him.  Consequently,
it is imperative that specimens displaying poor temperament be severely
penalized or, if necessary, excused from the ring.
In an effort to help determine temperament, our club has devised a standardized
format for temperament evaluation, i.e.  the "loose lead" temperament test.  It
is required at our National specialty and at all futurity/maturity events, and
it is strongly recommended at all of our specialties.  A copy of the video
demonstrating this test is sent to all judges who obtain permit status in
German Shepherds
We understand, however, that in an all breed setting not all judges are
comfortable with administering the test, and that all-breed shows present many
challenges both in terms of venue and time constraints, and for those reasons
we consider it optional, at the judges' discretion, at all breed shows.  At the
same time, we cannot emphasize enough that poor temperament must be severely
penalized, and it is our hope that the AKC field staff will help us impress
this upon aspiring judges.  I hope this is helpful to you and am happy to
answer any questions you may have regarding this issue. Best Regards, Sheree
MosesCo-Chair, Judges' Education, GSDCA

Also, I suggested that a strongly worded letter from our parent club
temperament committee regarding the importance of penalizing faults of
character could be sent along with our club packet to all judges who achieve
permit status, and I believe the temperament committee is working on this.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html