[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: FW: GSD Temperament Test

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "barbara17236@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, scharo777@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 07:32:36 -0400 (EDT)

Years ago, I actually had a judge walk back up the line of dogs and grab my dog
at the shoulders.  YES, he spun around to see what grabbed him.  Judge
apologized.  She bred and showed English Springers  Apparently, they  don;t
care if they get grabbed from behind.

Barb Hively - PA
DNA.  It's what makes a white, a German Shepherd
barbara17236@xxxxxxx

From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Scharo777@xxxxxxx" for
DMARC)
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 20:20:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] FW: GSD Temperament Test
To: shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx; showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bob & also do demos of the temperament test when we do seminars for all
rounders who want to add shepherds. We try to avoid incidents life the one
below.
I was horrified at an all breed show when a judge approached a shepherd
bitch from the rear and patted her hard on the read while the poor bitch was
being baited.  Poor thing jumped out of her skin with surprise, as she had
not idea the judge was behind her.  Then was penalized for poor temperament
because the stupid judge thought she had "checked temperment"
Carol Moore
Scharo777@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 5/27/2014 3:16:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

To clarify, this is the letter that was
  sent with parent club approval to the director of judging operations.
  The loose lead test, by the way, has always been optional at AKC shows; the
  letter was sent in response to several inquiries from AKC field staff.
  It was NOT initiated by the parent club.  We also sent them a copy of the
  parent club DVD on the temperament test which I have been told is being put
on

  the AKC website so that all breed judges who wish to administer the test have
  a better understanding of how it should properly be conducted.We also include
  demonstrations of a proper temperament test at all parent club approved
  seminars.I am always open to suggestions about how we can better educate our
  judges, let me know if you have any thoughts about improving the system.
  Best, Sheree

American Kennel Club
Judging Operations
Tim
  Thomas, Judging Operations Liaison

Dear Tim,
As Co-chair of the
  Judges' Education Committee for the GSDCA I am writing to advise you of our
  position regarding the administration of the "loose lead temperament test"
  advocated by our parent club.
Strong temperament and good character as
  described in our standard are of paramount importance to us.  A German
  Shepherd without good temperament is incapable of performing any of the many
  duties required of him.  Consequently, it is imperative that specimens
  displaying poor temperament be severely penalized or, if necessary, excused
  from the ring.
In an effort to help determine temperament, our club has
  devised a standardized format for temperament evaluation, i.e.  the
  "loose lead" temperament test.  It is required at our National specialty
  and at all futurity/maturity events, and it is strongly recommended at all of
  our specialties.  A copy of the video demonstrating this test is sent to
  all judges who obtain permit status in German Shepherds
We understand,
  however, that in an all breed setting not all judges are comfortable with
  administering the test, and that all-breed shows present many challenges both
  in terms of venue and time constraints, and for those reasons we consider it
  optional, at the judges' discretion, at all breed shows.  At the same
  time, we cannot emphasize enough that poor temperament must be severely
  penalized, and it is our hope that the AKC field staff will help us impress
  this upon aspiring judges.  I hope this is helpful to you and am happy to
  answer any questions you may have regarding this issue. Best Regards, Sheree
  MosesCo-Chair, Judges' Education, GSDCA

Also, I suggested that a
  strongly worded letter from our parent club temperament committee regarding
  the importance of penalizing faults of character could be sent along with our
  club packet to all judges who achieve permit status, and I believe the
  temperament committee is working on this.

  is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the original
kind

Each Author is responsible
  for the content of his/her post.  This group and its administrators are
  not responsible for the comments or opinions expressed in any post.

ALL
  PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY MANNER
  ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS

  A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

For assistance, please contact the List Management at
  admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

NATIONAL BLOG -
  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/

is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the original

any
post.

MANNER
ALL