[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Enthusiastic Stud! & Elderly Judges

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:16:12 -0400

Before anyone goes off half cocked about the older judges being asked to
retire, think of it this way.
    In the first place, some of the judges who we've been told were asked,
weren't..
  In the second place, would you like to be judged by an older, experienced
judge who needs help to get into the ring, who can't see the book to mark
it, and who can't really see much of the dogs, either, but recognizes the
voices of his or her favorite handler, and places the dogs accordingly?
That's the conditions under which a couple of these people have been asked
to resign........and I think it's rightfully so.
    What about a judge who has been in a nursing home, and came out to live
with a former handler and his wife, who travels to the shows with that
handler and wife, and then puts them up when they show to her on the same
day?
      What about a judge who asks you to put your German Shepherd dog up on
a ramp so that he can pet it...because he can't bend over to touch it at all
otherwise...and when I say "pet it," I do mean "pet it," not examine
it...who can't bend over to see the mouth, check testicles, or anything
else?
     Are these the ones you want to show to?  Because these are the
conditions under which these same people who've been asked to resign have
been masquerading as "judges."  Are you sure you want to show to them?
      Age has nothing to do with it, and I'll be the first to agree that
many of the younger, newer judges are just awful...in all the breeds.  They
read the magazines and know which people "should" win............
    a couple of years ago I was at a show in the upper Midwest and saw a
well-known GSD handler leaving the group ring, unplaced...which, on the day,
was right, since the Shepherd was not sound on the day (note, I said on the
day), and was also being so rowdy it needed a good correction...which it
didn't get.
    A judge (now deceased) sitting near me called out to the handler,
LOUDLY -- "that dog is just beautiful, _________" name of handler goes
there........
   from which I assumed that the dog would have placed in the group if she'd
been judging...regardless of the unsound, rowdy performance.   She should
have been retired by then, too...
     Not everyone has the sense God gave a goose, you know...not everyone is
like our own Helen Miller Fisher, who, when she found herself unable, in her
own mind, to do a satisfactory job, stopped accepting assignments except
when a local club had an emergency.........
     all judges should have that much sense.

   It's one thing for exhibitors to leave the ring griping that the judge is
stupid, or a crook, or blind...every judge has those comments made about
them some time or another...but when one is truly unable to do a decent job,
and doesn't know enough to stop, someone has to step in and do it for them.
        Peggy