[ SHOWGSD-L ] Ear Hematoma

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 01:19:03 -0400

To get back to dog issues, I relate the following.? I have a girl who had an
ear hematoma.? I have never had this before, even with the Labs.? The vet
office wanted to do surgery and I disagreed.? They always want $$$.? Anyway, my
son-in-law's brother is an RN.? The both do UFC fighting and wrestling.? Ear
hematomas are very common.? So, my SIL's brither came over and aspirated the
ear and then showed me how to do it and left all the equipment.? 2 weeks later,
this girl gets all wierd, in pain, wincing and whining and ducking from any
contact.? Then she becomes listless to the point of having to lift her in the
truck.? This girl lives for a ride in the truck :-(.? Get her to the vet and
nothing but a sore throat.? It seems she got a bone stuck in her throat or
something.?
Anyway, vet checks her ears and the hematoma.? I told her we had been draining
it ourselves and she said we did a good job.? She barely got anything out.?
Then, she gave her a steroid injection in her ear to prevent it filling up
again.? WOW!? That really worked.? Her ear is back to normal with just a bit of
a lump from the hematoma.? This has only been 4 days so maybe her ear will be
fine?after awhile.??

You learn something new every day.? I am so glad to?see her normal and happy.

Having never had an ear hematoma before, how?do you all handle it?? Was there
something else I could have done at the onset to keep it at bay?

TIA,

Laura Thomas???
http://mail.aol.com