[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog flu in Central New Jersey

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lhavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 16:01:50 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/2009 11:42:45 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
lhavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Four of  our dogs got very sick after the San Antonio shows.  Three were
running high fevers--up to 107.5.  Our vet prescribed Clidamiacin and
Doxycycline.  The one that was the sickest, I believe she got  pnemonia, we
had to finally give Gentamicin also.  It brought her  fever down within
24-hrs.  She also was on IV's for a number of  days.

Laura, several years back I picked this up after the Biloxi  show.  1 male
had high fever spikes and would not eat.  I tried  several different rounds
of anti biotics which would control this temporarily,  then it would come
back.  And yes, severe upper respiratory followed. Had  him on an IV of
lactated ringers at home for over a week he dehydrated so bad.
The only thing that finally got him well again was Chloramphenicol   sold
under the brand name of Viceton. Scott Yergin had fought a round of the  same
thing and he told me this is what he used and it got it quickly.
10 day and he was totally well again....he had a lingering heavy cough
until the Viceton was used.
Just a suggestion in the event you have to re fight this....nasty nasty
stuff!.

By the way it was the only show I had gone to that I had not misted my dog
with Parvosol before hand and I paid the price.  A few people I know have
gone to Parvosol now and I am sure has saved their skins.  It is safe to
spray on everything, including the dogs and kills many air born viruses before
 they do their damage.
Molly

Trillia  German Shepherds since 1972
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont, Life  Member CKC
steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)