[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Does dry dog food help keep a dog's teeth "sparkling" white

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: RopajaGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 16:42:19 -0500

You have a good point.  I have some on kibble and some on raw.  I have found
out a couple things.  Kibble tends to stick in the teeth and develop HARD
tarter.  Raw does not, but they still develop tarter.  The difference is that I
can scrape the teeth of the raw dogs very easily.  The kibble dogs are given
raw shank and knuckle bones every week.  This seems to help reduce the tarter
on their theeth.  The only dog who has had to have veterinary teeth cleaning is
my daughter's Yorkie.  Little dogs seem to have tooth problems.  I put her on
raw a year ago and her teeth look pretty darn good.  Her last cleaning was
almost 3 yrs ago after having to be cleaned every 6-8mos.  Yes, I scrape her
teeth too.

I recently went to a seminar with a reknowned holistic vet.  She isn't totally
into raw.  However, her pyramid is raw first, cooked food next, wet food
(canned) third and kibble as a last resort.  She says that small, hard kibble
is better than large, soft kibble for any dog.  She doesn't name brands.

She also says that tarter and plaque are genetic.  Some lines have it and some
don't.  She sees it more common in small dogs but sees some serious cases in
large dogs as well.  She believes that owners should do the best they can
within their budget, knowing that tooth cleaning involves sedation and expense.
 She advises folks to give raw bones whenever possible and to brush and scrape
teeth to avoid future problems.  I think she's on to something :-)

Laura