[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Does dry dog food help keep a dog's teeth "sparkling" white?

  • From: "Mary-Anne" <versatilegsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-l'" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:21:24 -0500

I guess I must be the only one who has had luck with dry dog food.  We fed
our first spaniel mix dry dog food and he died at 18 with all his teeth and
only a touch of tarter.
I fed my 120# Lab with dry dogfood and he died at 15 with all his teeth
(except one broken fang that never seemed to bother him) and they were still
white.
Misty has been fed on dry dogfood for 7 years without a teeth cleaning and
other than a few wee deposits right at the back of her mouth, her teeth are
clean.  Since I started feeding her raw bones, (which may be a combination
of age and chewing power), I've noticed that her teeth are still fairly
white but her fangs are wearing down quickly.
Magnum at 3.5 years of age has perfect teeth that glisten when he laughs -
again a combination of dry food and raw bones.
The only thing that I've ever done was to always give them a large cookie
after their meals so that they had to chew rather than gulp and they always
have plenty of clean fresh water (which after a meal looks rather gucky) to
drink/rinse their mouths.
So, in my opinion, it is better than feeding wet or combo wet/dry.
Mary-Anne