[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM Questions

  • From: "Tammy" <paris-smith_k9s@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:59:49 -0800

I do not own the Dam and they were not tested at the same place.

I am completely okay with everyone responding publicly so others can see
opinions. I know this is a subject that still is full of unanswered questions.

Tammy Paris-Smith
www.noble-spirit-shepherds.com

From: "Tammy" <paris-smith_k9s@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] DM Questions
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:38:15 -0800

I would like to ask the list their opinions and experiences (without going
in to a war and without any slamming) when it comes to DM and the DM tests.
I just got my results back for my dogs and my Female MaLea came back clear
and unfortunately my Male Gehren came back At Risk. Now here lies the
question Why would he be at risk since his Dam tested clear (not sure the
Sire) and per all the site's results data he should only been at most a
carrier.
.         If both parents are clear (N/N) then all of the puppies will be
clear

.         If one parent is a carrier (N/A) and one is clear (N/N) then
roughly 50% of the puppies will be clear and 50% will be carriers

.         If both parents are carriers (N/A) then roughly 25% will be clear
(N/N), 50% will be carriers (N/A), and 25% will be affected (A/A)

.         If one parent is clear (N/N) and one parent is affected (A/A) then
all puppies will be carriers (N/A)

.         If one parent is a carrier (N/A) and one is affected (A/A) then
roughly 50% of the puppies will be carriers (N/A) and 50% will be affected
(A/A)

.         If both parents are affected (A/A) then all puppies will be
affected (A/A)

I am of course not going to jump right out and having him neutered because
with his results and the statistics shown above they do not correlate. So my
question is one how do you feel about the tests themselves and their
accuracy and  two what would you do in regards to an at risk dog? Thank you
all in advance