[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Crowded Slate

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:51:52 EDT

In a message dated 7/10/2005 11:52:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
I wrote to Charley telling him I commended him on his approach, and that
while I wished him well, I could not in good faith be involved with the
project
as he felt it should be done. That was over two years ago, and since that
time
I  was not aware of anything that was done.
I think Charley was promoting the video idea well before two years ago.  I
know that he came to one of our regional club's committee meetings during a
national and proposed it there.  I'm not certain how long ago that was, but it
had
to be four years or so.  Maybe Dania will remember.  She chaired that
committee at the time.  Lew may remember also.  He was on that committee at the
time
too.

I wouldn't be surprised if cost was the problem.  When I suggested video
taping old-timers, the idea was for regional clubs to send people into their
own
areas to do the taping.  As I understand it, what the board didn't like about
that idea was the potential amateurish quality of the video.  Apparently costs
were considered including flying someone from the video committee all over the
country to do the filming, and that surely would have been a huge expense.

I did speak to Charley several times about his video idea, both in person and
on the phone.  The only thing I disagreed with was only filming the most
successful old-timers of our breed.  While I would certainly have included
them, I
think the breed as a whole was also greatly affected by the lesser known, but
still successful breeders.  I'd just love to have known what all of them
thought.

One thing I do agree on though... If any similar project ever does get off
the ground, it should be done in memory of Charley Chester.

Tom Langlitz