[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Concerning Mycoplasma

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Ferraristr@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:04:47 -0800

> Thought you all would be interested in what Dr. Robert Hutchinson, leading >
authority in canine reproduction has to say about mycoplasma.  > I have also
enclosed a link to additional questions and answers to canine
> reproduction.  http://www.dpca-breedered.com/reproseminarhutch.htm

> 4. Question: What about the dreaded mycoplasma?>
>( snipped )
. Mycoplasma is a normal organism at all body openings. A > routine culture
of a bitch's vaginal tract will show strep, staph, e coli,> pasteurella, and
mycoplasma.
 The vaginal tract is not sterile so routine> culturing of a normal, healthy
bitch is
 totally unwarranted. You need to> appreciate the purpose of normal flora or
 normal bacteria: they keep the BAD> bugs out so a routine culture, that shows
 mycoplasma, e coli, and strep, is> not a cause for treatment but a cause for
 celebration because the bitch is> normal
                ***********************************
We just beat it to death about three months ago so we're off
schedule....but....<G>
The "KEY WORD" in this statement is of course "NORMAL".
What we should always concerned about is the ABNORMAL growth!!

Just once........I would love to hear if someone ever bred a bitch or a stud
with myco plasma at the ABNORMAL  levels and got a nice healthy litter????
That would put this tri-montly discussion to rest.   <G>
WHY the friendly bacterial flora levels become abnormal is what we need answers
on from the reproductive experts!   Over use of antibiotics could be a part of
the
problem but I don't think so.    I think it is lack of testing and the continual
spreading.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com