[ SHOWGSD-L ] Compete if you can

  • From: elg440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:54:37 EST

In a message dated 1/21/2010 12:53:56 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The  point is that if people can take a mix that really excells, there
will be  no need to try to win with a purebred.........this is a concern
many
who  actually take part in these competitions have expressed....not an
original  thought with me or anyone else on this list.  They aren't afraid
of
being bested...but if this stuff was conceived for purebred dog owners to
do, it should be left to them.

I am confused, as I often am.  This sport is for the joy of the  owners,
the fun of the dogs, the spirit of competition, and to improve the  breed.

I don't see how allowing dogs that are not pure-bred to compete in any way
diminishes those goals. It may mean we get beat in competition, but look at
the  goals. No where did I say winning was the point, and it is not.

Now, the better we breed for the standard, the better we should do in all
competition.  Instead of complaining that some off breed might beat you,
work harder, breed better, and stop complaining.

I prefer conformation, (which I thought was the point of this list).   No
dog other than a pure-bred is going to beat me in that ring.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/