[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Code of Ethics on Ballot

  • From: "Margery Golant" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bruiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-L'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:10:21 -0400

The Board was faced with complex issues of a legal and factual nature in the
Hunte matter.   If there were people on the Board who did not know who Hunte
was or what business he was in, that can only be due to the fact that there
was insufficient information provided to them, and insufficient discussion
of the issue, which even Kris has just confirmed with her email.  The issue
was just too important to the Club and to the membership for it to not have
gotten full and due consideration.  That is the role of leadership - to
ENSURE that important issues are handled as befits the importance of them.
The significance of the MANY letters from members and a Petition with more
than 300 names on it was never properly addressed, nor were these very
important issues discussed.  That is WHY we have a Legal Affairs Chair - to
EXPLAIN to the Client - the Board - the legal significance of issues before
it.  Board members are generally lay people and generally do not understand,
or fully understand, legal issues without explanation and discussion.

The exact same things show up time and time again during the tenure of this
administration - lack of information, lack of leadership, rushing to
conclusion of matters that should not be rushed.

I reiterate what I said last week:

"Sadly, those in a position of leadership on the Board, the President and
the Legal Affairs Chair, did not take any action at all to clarify these
issues for the Board members, to open them up to discussion or understanding
of what the options truly were.  When the matter came before the Board in
January, there was no outside legal opinion obtained or presented regarding
the Board's options, there was not even any discussion of what alternatives
existed, what authority the Board had.  The only thing that was ever said
was the repeated warning to Board members to obtain personal umbrella
coverage 'in case'.  This was very misleading, and caused a number of Board
members to misunderstand what they could do and could not do.  Had they
understood that there was no impediment to their voting no under the
circumstances, several of them would not have voted differently.  As
everyone knows the process was redone and those who voted "Yes" reversed
their vote.

I can't help but remember back to Ginny Altman's term as President.
Whenever there was anything of consequence before the Board, Ginny would ask
the Board if it felt it had enough information to vote, and on all important
issues, she would ask for analysis and explanation by the then Legal Affairs
Chair, LaMar Frederick, and she usually suggested deferring the vote by at
least one quarter on the most significant issues to allow for additional
reflection by Board members and input from the membership.

For all those reasons, it is misleading to be guided merely by the NO and
the YES votes. At least some of the YES votes are attributable to a lack of
information by those who voted YES, which seems to me to be attributable to
a lack of leadership by those who could and should have provided it.

I hope this helps to clarify this very complicated situation.  This is
probably the most important election ever held in the GSDCA.  You have much
to consider, which is impossible to do in the dark."

If you have any questions or want to discuss further, please don't hesitate
to contact me.

Margy