[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Coat color question

  • From: "Sue Mazzeo" <Sue.Mazzeo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:29:11 -0800

According to Willis and several other sources I have read, sable is
dominant.  However, if one of the two sables bred together was pure for
sable (had two sable genes), then all the puppies would be sable no
matter what other gene the other parent had.

I know that occasionally a sable puppy will appear in a litter out of
black and tan parents and I think this is a mutated gene, not an
indication of sable not being dominant.

JMHO

Sue Mazzeo

Msg: #6 in digest
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:30:00 -0500
From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Coat color question

    I seem to remember a website that showed the inheritance of
colour.........does anyone know what the address of that site is?

I, too, have always been told that in order for a puppy to be sable,
one
parent must be sable...but if that's true, then why is it that sable to

sable only brings
sable puppies?  Sounds like a pure recessive, no?  And yet, I've heard

that sable is dominant........I don't see how that can be
true..........I really need to see that site.
Peggy

Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx wrote:

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the
use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use
or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including
the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the
communication.