[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Coat color question

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:46:13 -0500

    OK, I found the site I was after...also a couple of others.   All
seem to make the statement that the only way to get a sable is to breed
sable to sable...
but that would make it a pure recessive......which no one seems to want
to say....... and you know what people DO say...that once you keep a sable,
you will have them all the time......what kind of recessive is that?????
       Anyway, it's late, I'm tired, and I'm sure you all know more
about this than I do.  On the other hand, I have heard people call dogs
sable that I wouldn't call sable, and what some people call a bicolour I
call black and tan........so maybe until someone does the DNA on all the
dogs they're talking about, I don't think we can call names on people
who say they have sable puppies from black and tan parents........they
just don't know any better.  (Gee, didn't somebody say as much a few
hours ago?)  After all, don't most people we know call "black and
silver" "black and tan?"  Is there a place on the AKC registration paper
to call a dog "Black and Silver?"  What do we have here, Miniature
Schnauzers?  Maybe we should start calling the sables "salt and pepper"
then, right?
       Don't mind me...as I said...I'm tired...........and I'm teasing
anyway.
    Peggy