[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Coat Supplements, Protein and Bathing Question

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx, the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:23:58 -0700 (PDT)

I have always operated the same way, washing releases hairs and causes
shedding.  But then I bathe to get the shedding over with and so that the blow
dry on the patio puts hair in the pool, but not in my living room.

  The salmon oil is good for you too, so don't be shy. But it does thin the
blood, the more you take the more you will bruise and small cuts will be a mess
and pain in the butt.  Given how much it helps the heart and brain work, it is
worth the effort of stopping the bleeding fast to keep the blood from staining
things.
  sheila

  PS I love the email name, Dals!!!!  I get it!!!! ha ha
Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Thank you to everyone for their responses. I have lots to think over and
some label reading a head of me... I will probably go with Salmon oil for a
while since it goes with the raw regiman, but like everyone else, if
something might be better, I will try it too :-)

Coming from dals where we argue CONSTANTLY about protein vs. purines,
etc..., I have ALWAYS heard that the protein in kibble food, once it hits
about 30% can be a serious issue for kidneys and any other organ that is an
elimination organ. Raw protein is a completely different as the body can
manage to absorb it completely - although you should stay away from huge
amounts of organ meats with domestic dogs.

Now, my question for today..Several people mentioned bathing or rinsing to
help grow coat. In dals and many other short coated dogs, it is a big no, no
to bathe regularily as you can screw up the oils, etc in the coat and skin.
The more you bathe dals, the more you set yourself up for coat problems. How
often do you bathe GSD for competition (not bathing for shows, but bathing
to get a dog conditioned for showing)? Do you use warm water (ideal for
making a dal shed) or cool water? I use an oatmeal based shampoo for major
bathes. Do I use it for the day to day bathing too?

SHEESH.. You would think I was a darned new person with all these questions
:-)

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals (and two, yes coutem' TWO GSDs)

Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car
Finder tool.