[ SHOWGSD-L ] Ch Tia's intro to sheep by Ruth Scheubler

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:42:56 -0700 (PDT)

I thought I would share this with the list. We introduced Tia to sheep
yesterday.I knew she liked sheep like her uncle Fairway's in the Ruff. I was
very impressed.

  Ruth writes:

  Now that Tia is finished, we thought we would give her the chance to work
sheep. So into the van she went with Gordy and Margo, and we headed up to
Brigand's.

  Brigand's PT arena has wonderful furrows and it is a nice controlled place to
introduce the concept to a dog. So into the arena went Carol, Terry, Tia and 5
sheep. After establishing the fact that Tia had really nice interest in those
little wooly beasties, Carol took the group over to the 3 sided graze portion
of the arena. I leaned on the fence and marveled at how well Tia responded to
Carol as she pointed out the forrows and explained right from wrong in the
world of c-course herding. I watched as for about 30 minutes Carol and Tia
worked that graze - first on lead, then dragging the lead, and within5 minutes,
without a lead, and Tia clearly figured it out. She was not sure just why Carol
didn't want her to cross that furrow, but she adapted to the sheep, relaxed her
body and gaited back and forth, clearly thinking things through. We will not
longer call Tia our "blonde" - she made it clear that she does know how to
think and that she wanted to work those sheep.

  The bonus for Terry and me was that since retrianing Tia for the all-breed
ring, we haven't had the chance to really see her gait the way she did in the
specialty ring. Once she settled down and relaxed into her movement on the
furrow, we got to see her fully use herself again. It was a good thing!!

  So now we will see if we can get Tia ready for PT at the c-course National.
After that she can come out and join Gordy on the big grazes. Damn! this is
going to be fun!!
  Ruth