[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Can diet and supplementation help prevent bloat?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx, shofar_k9s@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:40:31 EST

In a message dated 1/14/2007 8:12:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx writes:
But  bloat / torsion, whether gastric  or
mesenteric sure does seem to  follow some lines more than others.  Not to
say that
any large  breed dog isn't susceptible, but boy there is such a  pervasive
problem in some of our lines today.   Also to a large  degree  , a lot of the
dogs in
the show ring are deep from wither to  chest, and narrow ,
slab-sided......they may? be a predisposition to  problems with dogs built
like  this...but that
is anecdotal at this  point.    Supplements ,  enzymes, all great, anything
help.  Limited vaccine protocol...smart  anyway.

Interesting there was a study done in the 40s about the high incidence  of
toxic gut and bloat in dairy cattle...the common denominator
was.........line
breeding.  Either too much and or too  close.  Interesting parallel, I  think.

Kathy Tank

For what it's worth, I've thought that while there may be environmental
triggers, (stress, feeding habits, vaccines), we are dealing with a genetic
problem. (Now, is this genetic problem something we'll see on a DNA marker
someday
or genetics from the standpoint of structure, even <poor???>  structure of
internal organs?  hmmmm?)

I think a good diet can remove some of the triggers (there are folks that
swear by no corn, no beets, etc.), just as good husbandry practices can remove
some of the triggers, (not feeding a dog who is excited, not letting them
gulp a bucket of water then eat dinner and run around, keeping horny stud dogs
apart from in- season bitches, etc.), all common sense stuff, but if the
genetics are there, I think you have the potential for a ticking time  bomb.
Case
in point, you can have someone do everything right, (special)  diet, closely
controlled environment, pick whatever supplement you'd like and  you can always
find dogs that bloated following that particular regime.

What I WILL not consider too harshly when looking at pedigrees is an old
gal's (who has had several litters) stomach/spleen flipping in her final days
of
old age.  I can get my mind around that fact that very poor, just old and
worn out muscle tone in that case has much to do with the problem.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_