[ SHOWGSD-L ] Can diet and supplementation help prevent bloat?

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:11:27 -0500

With the recent small discussion about bloat, I did some research into
the diet and supplementation recommendations for this condition.  I've
only dealt with this condition once and it was a dog that I bought when
I first started in the breed.  In my opinion, I believe genetics plays a
role in this problem as well as body structure and stress levels.  From
what I've seen or heard about, many of the dogs that have gotten this
condition have been deep chested dogs.  The dog I lost was a Scorpio son
ex Lance dtr.  Scorpio died of bloat as did some of his progeny.  (So my
dog had the genetics and body structure that one sees with this
condition).  My dog came from a genetic background of bloat - his dad,
and he was deep chested.

Is anyone familiar with the Great Dane lady who has done research on
this condition and suggests a diet and supplementation program to help
prevent this deadly disease?  Some of the things she suggests are a
holistic diet, probiotics and enyzmes among other things.  Hey Barbara
Williams, feel free to jump in here about your feelings concerning diet
and supplements to the food.  I use Eagle Brand Holistic food already
and enyzmes as well and was thinking about using some of the other stuff
she recommends.  Anyone else use probiotics and enyzmes?

Do other people believe bloat is seen more in the deep chested dogs, the
stressed dogs and ones who come from a genetic background that has this
in their lines?   Or do you feel that diet and supplements aren't
important to try to help prevent this?  Best wishes,  Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS