[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Another attack made on Cesar Millan

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx, stormygsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 20:21:14 EDT

There's also the matter that most of the dogs Cesar works with on his
show have been through multiple 'trainers' and classes with no  success.
These dogs often have already bitten their owners and guests, and  Ceasar
is literally the last resort for these animals and their owners.  Even  at
that,
his preferred leash and collar is thread thin - the heavier stuff is only
used
if that is all the owner has on hand.  I don't get the National  Geographic
channel, but I bought the DVD set after hearing so much about it from
coworkers and friends.  A few things I don't agree with, but overall,  I'm
pretty impressed with his methods.  Some things I've done for  years
(my own variations) and some others I've been trying with some success.

Janice

In a message dated 9/6/2006 6:06:15 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Then you  may never have had to turn a dangerous dog into a pet.  I have.
Sometimes  you do have to get a rough to get the dog to their place in the
pack.
I  try to do it with a lead and collar rather than my hands, I don't like to
get  bit.  But if I can't reason, and I can't muscle MY way into a dog's pack,
 or if I don't think a dog will be trained by it's owners, I will recommend
putting the dog down, and I have.

Caeser probably  does not show the easy dogs, not much to see.  But a
difficult dog that  takes some drama to realign in the pack, that is worth the
effort
and expense  of filming.  It's for the drama.  I am always glad when I don't
have  to get dramatic.  But it happens.

And  sometimes, the people can't do what it takes or the dog is too old and
too far  into being alpha, there is nothing to be done.  It is individual and
very  hard to decide what to do.  I don't do or say anything lightly.
sheila