[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Petition

  • From: "Stormy V. Hope" <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rautt75@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 10:33:15 -0800

20% of pets in shelters are pets that are returned, that were placed from the
shelters.  Various (mostly NAIA shelter project) statistics show that
approximately 6-8% are purebred but very little is known of their origin.  Most
dogs in shelters come owners moving, untrained dogs, new baby in the house..
and sadly, new puppy in the house. Shelters often say a dog is a Dachshund or a
GSD or a yorkie, and the photo looks nothing like that breed.  Maybe to make
the dog more palatable?

People who pay good money for a pet, no matter the source, rarely give it up.
The free pup from next door is more often sent to a shelter.

Stormy

> On Jan 31, 2015, at 5:05 AM, Anne Utter <rautt75@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Many times the reason an animal is in the shelter is because it has something
> wrong that cannot be cured or fixed or it would cost too much to do so.  And
> the owner will not or cannot afford to care for it etc.  so they take it to
> the shelter. Then of course there are the strays. Here in our south, there
> are plenty of those.
> But are commercial breeders, pet stores, designer breeders sometimes part of
> the problem?    John Q. Public's  kids want a puppy.  John can't afford to
> get a dog from a breeder or even a pet store.  The neighbor next door has a
> litter, or someone at a flea market is giving puppies/kittens away.   So,
> John Public happily gets one.  Some turn out wonderful, some may have serious
> problems and go to the shelter.
> I have no ideas on how this can be reconciled.  But when designer breeders
> and other breeders demand top dollar for their pet pups, where is J.Q. public
> supposed to go?
> Maybe it is all supply and demand, I don't know the answer.
> Anne, GA
>
> Sent from Anne's iPad
>
>> On Jan 31, 2015, at 12:59 AM, Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> There's no "us" and "them" anymore. We need to stick
>> together and we can't afford to be pointing our fingers at
>> other breeders and saying THEY are the problem because,
>> according to the ARs, there are NO good, ethical breeders
>> because for every purpose-bred dog that is produced, born
>> and purchased, a shelter dog dies. Period. This is their
>> mantra and you've probably heard it before: "Don't breed
>> or buy while shelter pets die!" It doesn't matter that, in
>> truth, there's actually a shelter dog *shortage* in
>> certain areas of the country such as up here in the
>> Northeast. Course... you won't hear that from THEM!
>  is Copyrighted 2015.  All material remains the property of the original
> kind are permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND
> of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

> in any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

> PROSECUTED.

> http://showgsd.org/mail.html

Stormy V. Hope