[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC Petition

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rautt75@xxxxxxxxx>, <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 17:03:37 -0800

Anne, I think you hit it. Years ago someone in a
county meeting made a snide comment to me after my
testimony against more animal legislation. She
asked, with the expected body language and tone of
voice, "Why do you keep breeding when there are
all these dogs in the shelter being killed?"

I said as kindly as I could, "why am I guilty of
that perceived problem created by people who
create junk? None of my dogs end up in the
shelter. None! None of my dogs are bred without a
breeding survey back several generation to
determine health and temperament. None! Why do you
hate me for doing things right and let the idiots
who do not know or do not care get by with their
aimless breeding or bitches in heat roaming the
streets?"

Her mouth dropped open, she stammered, and then
stomped away. I don't think I made a friend, but I
did stop an argument.

What you said Anne is, "Maybe it is all supply and
demand, I don't know the answer." That is the
answer. All things we create and sell fall under
the law of Mr. Market. (Mr. Market is an allegory
created by investor Benjamin Graham). If left to
himself, Mr. Market will regulate the production
and distribution of all things. That is why
central planning and communism do not work. That
is why Mr. Market works well for most of the
breeders I know. They produce a quality product
and care about where it goes and the conditions it
lives in. The 'system' we are part of works
because we have a quality product sold to a
willing and carefully screened market. For the
most part, none of our dogs knowingly end up in
the shelters. And the few that do, are prime
targets for GSD rescue.

This same principle works for industries that I do
not like, but who Mr. Market takes care of. Large
suppliers of dogs cannot get by with a consistent
lack of quality at too low a price. They have to
have a market (we are #2 or all breeds - Yeah!)
and they have to supply quality. So see, Mr.
Market is on the job and he will deal with the
majority of the problems as the arise, if we can
just stop those who want to regulate him out of
business from succeeding.

And that's all I have to say about that!
Dave
-----------

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Petition

Many times the reason an animal is in the shelter
is because it has something wrong that cannot be
cured or fixed or it would cost too much to do so.
And the owner will not or cannot afford to care
for it etc.  so they take it to the shelter. Then
of course there are the strays. Here in our south,
there are plenty of those.
But are commercial breeders, pet stores, designer
breeders sometimes part of the problem?    John Q.
Public's  kids want a puppy.  John can't afford to
get a dog from a breeder or even a pet store.  The
neighbor next door has a litter, or someone at a
flea market is giving puppies/kittens away.   So,
John Public happily gets one.  Some turn out
wonderful, some may have serious problems and go
to the shelter.
I have no ideas on how this can be reconciled.
But when designer breeders and other breeders
demand top dollar for their pet pups, where is
J.Q. public supposed to go?
Maybe it is all supply and demand, I don't know
the answer.
Anne, GA

Sent from Anne's iPad

---

POST is Copyrighted 2015.  All material remains the property of the original
are permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND of the

any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html