[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Novice OB question

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsdlist@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 18:10:40 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/2007 5:09:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
showgsdlist@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Anyway,  the issue we're having is that, although she does remain standing
and  nibbling on the treats I have in my hand, she eyeballs the instructor
the  whole time the instructor is near, and when the instructor reaches out
to  touch her, she dances away with her rear end. We need to work on  getting
her more comfortable with the exercise, but I'm not sure how.

Break down the exercise.

For now, don't have anyone touch her.  Stand in front, treat randomly  and
have folks walk around her until they are dizzy.  Gradually walk away  until
you
are 6-10 feet away, with her still on leash, and at the "judges"  command,
return to her by going around, just like you would in the ring.   Leave, go
back
and practice going 'round and 'round yourself until you are  dizzy. YOU touch
her randomly. DO NOT reward while at her shoulder, or  she will learn to
anticipate a reward and break her stand.

At a different time and as a separate exercise, throw her on a grooming
table, stand at her side and have someone examine her like they would go over a

breed dog.  (She can't step off a grooming table and if she tries, allow  her
to think there's no bottom, but catch her, calmly put her back and begin
again).  Practice this until you can stand away from her.

Much later combine the exercise, but stand her, (whatever part of her that
wants to step away), on a low stone wall or even a street curb of you can't
find a stone wall.

This doesn't sound like something you'll fix in a week or two, but stay  with
it <G>.

Good luck:)

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds