[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A popular breed

  • From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: murfamx4@xxxxxxx, pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 06:36:16 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for sharing these great stories!

Zoa
Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com

Home of Working Champions

----- Original Message ----
From: "murfamx4@xxxxxxx" <murfamx4@xxxxxxx>
To: pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx; showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, March 11, 2011 8:28:04 AM
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A popular breed

I have used my GSD's as retrievers, pointers and even as a Beagle.  I will give
you that because of their size they aren't much good for going in Brush piles
and flushing Rabbits but can certainly track/chase rabbits.

  I went to SD to Goose/duck hunt with my Nephew a couple years ago.  In the
morning we hunted Geese and in the evening hunted ducks.
  My nephew  Tom  has a Black Lab that he paid a fortune for and even more to
have trained.  I asked if I could bring my black GSD with us and  Tom said OK.

  We were standing in head high cat tails and when the first ducks came by we
shot one.  He sent his dog Buddy to retrieve it while my GSD watched him.
After
Buddy had finished the retrieve I asked Tom "if we get another duck can I send
Coby after it"  Tom baulked and said is he trained?  I told him no but if he
doesn't get it we can still send Buddy to get it.

  A short time later I shot a duck and sent Coby he did exactly as Buddy had
done earlier.  Tom yelled "What the Hell did I spend all this money for."  I
told him he should have got a GSD.

We did the same thing hunting Pheasants Coby after watching what the other dogs
were doing became a pointer.

He really embarrassed a guy who was doing a Frisbee demo with his Boarder
Collies.  After the demo he asked if any one want to try it and I said yes.  He
asked if Coby had ever done this before and I was honest and said no.  The man
didn't want to throw the frisbee and I told him if Coby didn't bring it back I
would go get it for him.  I think that made him mad and he threw the Frisbee
about 60 yards.  Coby caught it about 4 ft off the ground and returned dropping
it at my feet.  The guy doing the demo said in a gruff voice "I thought you
said
he wasn't trained to do this"  I told him "This is the first time he has ever
been in contact with a Frisbee".  Astounded he asked "how did he know what to
do"?  Rather smugly by this point I told him "I guess after watching your dog a
few time he just knew what I want him to do"  The man put a leash on his dog
and
stormed off.

GSD's are definitely the most versatile breed

Glenn Murphy
Shaden Shepherds