[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A New thread,(or rope) about the 30 degree shoulder layback...

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:49:55 EST

In a message dated 3/19/2005 9:26:39 AM Central Standard Time,
Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx writes:
Well,. I hope we can start up some thoughts about the 30 degree
layback...lets play ball!!!!
The standard says:
"The shoulder blades are long and obliquely angled, laid on flat and not
placed forward. The upper arm joins the shoulder blade at about a right angle. "

In the sentence above, the word "obliquely" is an adverb ...

"Oblique" (as an adverb) - At an angle of 45°.

Its no secret that I am a bit of a fanatic about the standard.  <G>  I have
one concern other than the obvious comment above.  If you lay the shoulder back
at only thirty degrees, and if you prefer an upper arm that is longer than
the shoulder blade, then when the shoulder assembly is correctly at about a
right angle, haven't you then created an assembly that must be weaker than what
the standard calls for, where holding the weight of the front of the dog up is
concerned?

With the structure as described above, the elbow would end up being placed
well behind the back of the shoulder blade.  I would think that this would
cause
the dog to tend to stand with its feet considerably forward of the elbow to
achieve balance when standing.  In dog talk, that means the dog would have to
stand bridged in front.  Again ... overall that seems like a much weaker
structure where the simple task of holding the front of the dog up is
concerned.

I don't deny that most dogs probably only have about a thirty degree layback.
 That may even be usual for most quadrupeds in the wild.  However, I would
think that nature would push for the most stable front, one which the elbow
falls just about directly below the back of the shoulder blade.  If that is the
case, then a ninety degree angle would be very unlikely.  I think that one of
two things will likely occur with a thirty degree layback.  Either the upper
arm
would be shorter, or the overall angle of the structure would have to be less
than ninety degrees.  That is just a theory, but come to think of it ... it
might explain a lot of what we see these days.

I did find a site that talks about the shoulder, and has pictures which seem
to support my observations ... although the words on the page do not <G>.
http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Shoulder.html

I guess the logical question is this:  At what angle did Judd's shoulder lay
back?

Tom Langlitz