[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A Different Perspective Perhaps

  • From: Karen4paws@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:28:15 EST

In a message dated 2/21/2007 10:58:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bhahn0616@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Puppy  mills would not exist if they did not fill a need. Does your
interaction  with potential buyers include John Q or exclude  him?

The answers to these will vary with some possibly not being able to say yes
to all but the only one Hunte or the likes can say yes to is the one about
selling to anyone, in fact we can safely say they do not sell to show homes
because the dogs they breed are not quality dogs in any regard (as indicated
by
Hunte buying from one of our own). In fact, they could care less  who they
sell to or whether they enjoy the dogs or not. Do you see a phone  number on
Hunte's web site so the puppy buyer can call him up and rejoice about  the
puppies
first wee wee outside? Puppy mills exist to meet the need of people  who many
of us would not sell to (many times rightfully so), who do not know how  to
find a reputable breeder,people who feel they are too good to go to a shelter
or have misconceived ideas about shelter dogs, and more often than not the
impulse buyer who just can't resist the cute little puppy in the window. I am
not saying that there is not more that we can do to encourage the public to buy
 from responsible breeders or rescue a dog in need but quite frankly I don't
think these questions have a whole lot to do with why puppy mills  exist or
people like Hunte should be ashamed of themselves any more than I  believe the
reason shelters are full of dogs on death row is because we breed  them.

Karen Shirk, Executive Director
4 Paws For Ability,  Inc
Taking the "dis" out of disABILITY
253 Dayton Ave Xenia, Ohio  45385