[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A Different Perspective Perhaps

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: bhahn0616@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:48:25 -0500

Well, YES.  I can honestly say that I do all the things you listed.  I keep
track of my pups.  I thrill in anything my pups accomplish.  And, I teach
obedience so many of them have been in my classes.  I do answer every call or
email I receive.  It may not be someone who buys a dog from me, but I use the
communication to educate prospective GSD buyers or refer them to someone with
the right match for them.  I will take a dog back or help place him/her no
matter the age of the dog.  I have people come to my place all the time, as I
sell raw dog food.  They all meet and greet my dogs and SEE the conditions in
which they live.  Potential puppy/dog buyers do the same.  I have them meet all
my dogs so they can see how neat this Breed can be in the right environment.

Can Petland say the same thing?  Or, a puppy miller?  I think not.  That pup is
a commodity.  Once it's gone, it's gone.  The buyer never sees where that pup
came from.  They don't know or talk to the breeder.  They have no idea what
conditions the pup lived in or what health issues the pup might have.  They
only know it's a cute puppy that they want to take home.  The buyer doesn't get
to meet either of the parents or see if the temperament of the dogs is suitable
for their needs.  They get sucked into the cute factor and a sales pitch.

Every breeder has pups that go to pet homes.  Not every pup is a potential
Champion.  We all know that.  Some breeders are better at follow ups and
communication than others.  And, yes, there are dishonorable breeders out
there.  That is true in any breed.  That is the minority.  The majority of
breeders in the fancy do care very much about the pups they produce and where
they go.

You are comparing apples and oranges.  There is no comparison in a pup from a
breeder and a puppy mill pup.  Even the most anti-social breeder produces a far
better pup than a puppy mill.  They have at least been in the breed, bred for
quality and make sure the pups are ready to go to a new home.  They don't ship
them out as soon as they are weaned to go to a facility that puts them in a
truck to be transported to whatever pet store.

Large corporations have the benefit of advertising to John Q.  Breeders cannot
afford to nor would they want to mass advertise.  Otherwise, they are no
different than Hunte, No?

Laura Thomas