[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 8 litters per year

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 08:00:27 -0700

Ummm, I struggled with putting in a number, but in order to make the
verbiage have some value, it needs a definition.  I chose 8 because, the
average member who is actually just a breeder not a commercial breeder - 8
litters of puppies per year would make producing dogs their FULL TIME job.
If they have a spouse working outside the house, don't tell me that
producing 8 or more litters per year is not a full time job.  I forgot about
co-ownerships - so put a line in - 8 litters of puppies on your property.

I know what it has been like living in an area where there were breeders had
a majority of their livelihood made off the backs of their bitches that
produced litter after litter.  The price for selling puppies IF you could
sell them, dropped dramatically because the market was flooded with puppies
from people whose house payment was regularly paid with the sale of puppies
- 8 litters. come on, that's a LOT of work and that's a lot of puppies.  I
originally was going to put in 6 litters - since that seems to be the target
number that rings the AKC bell for inspections - but thought, no that would
be restrictive for some of our breeders - so I thought about 10 - and I
thought TEN LITTERS OF PUPPIES!!! Who are we kidding?  So split the
difference and put in 8 litters... and I get a response that this would be
"too restrictive".  If you're breeding dogs to better the breed, you don't
need to do it with 8 or more litters a year - that is unless you are part of
the CURRENT TREND of waving the stud dog's equipment at as many bitches as
possible to produce as many puppies as possible to become a "TOP PRODUCER."
Yeah who am I kidding - it's worked now for a couple of generations - but
cripes, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Now let's look at a little bit of numbers:

8 litters a year - avg 6 puppies per litter - 48 puppies---

Let's say 1 show puppy per litter - with a low show sale price:  6 x
2,000.00 = $12,000.00

Remainder to pet homes with a low pet price:  42 x $500.00 = $21,000.00

Total sales:  $33,000.00

This number is at a low end, because I know of people who are selling their
puppies for double what I've quoted - if it were double that would be
$66,000.00 per year.

I don't know about you, but that starts to sound really commercial to me -
Every business has expenses - so don't go there with the cost of producing
the litters - its called mass production.  Most people who have (the key
word) MORE than 8 litters a year, would need to be commercial operations
just to properly care for the animals with paid kennel help, and property to
keep these animals.  The average breeder might have 8 litters in one year
and then take a vacation from breeding dogs for the next 2 or ten. doing it
right, people breeding more than 8 litters per year would end up with a nice
paycheck for their hard work.  If they aren't commercial operations with the
appropriate help - then I think they shouldn't be members of this club.  I
mean, be realistic - 8 litters in one year???

Let's just talk about reality here - what are we talking about here -
putting quality on the ground or quantity.

Kathaleen

  _____

From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Actually Ileana, I forgot to add the commercial breeder part. However, you

> do realize that there are people out there, some highly regarded breeders
> and/or handlers even, who make a large portion of their livelihood off of
> breeding and selling puppies and/or breeding, buying, reselling, & showing

> dogs.
>

> Commercial: 1 : the exchange or buying and selling of goods, commodities,
> property, or services esp. on a large scale and involving transportation
> from place to place
>

> Perhaps this could be why the Board has had a little difficulty getting
the
> wording down without making it too difficult for our "most respected"
> members to remain members. < BR>>
>

> Maybe there could be a line like:
>

> As a Member, Breeder and/or Individual, I resolve to not engage in selling

> of puppies to commercial breeding entities, those engaged in mass
> wholesaling or reselling of dogs or puppies (defined as more than 2
puppies
> per transaction) or those engaged in mass production of puppies or dogs
> (defined as more than 8 litters per year).
>

> I think personally adding a "definition" is going to be the deal killer
for
> a lot of people; but the intent of the above wording is to remove the
> possibility of having people like Hunte and friends being allowed into
> membership. I understand there are some breeders and/or handlers that
> engage in the purchase of whole litters to a single entity for resell and
> understand there are breeders who breed more than 8 litters per year. My
&g t; point at using these number is that I think they are reasonable. I
don't