[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 8 litters per year

  • From: "Jane Kerner" <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 21:52:30 -0500

Let's think about what Linda has asked us to consider.
.........Given the expense and various  factors which are currently impacting
the Sport of Pure Bred Dogs generally and German Shepherd Breeders/Exhibitors
in particular.........

..........And given that the Futurity/Maturity litter nominations and
conformation show entries are dropping..........  we might like to review what
some ethical breeders in our midst have considered doing to remedy the
situation.

Two of the solutions are Co-ownerships and the allocation of responsibilities
by net-working with other ethical breeders.

Suppose Breeder A owns, cherishes, cares for, trains and loves three adult
bitches.

Just three.

Breeder A lives in the Northern Tier of States in the Union where the frozen
tundra prohibits winter litters unless the breeder has a separate
climate controlled facility on the property.

Not a commercial breeder, just a conscientious breeder who tries to schedule
litters in order to be able to exhibit in the Spring and Autumn at the
National............wanting to participate and  make a contribution to the
breed.

And suppose the three cherished bitches all cycle and come in season at the
same time.

And supposing the bitches when bred, sometimes "miss"........

Now what, I wonder?

Co-ownerships and co-breedings become a  viable solution,

Breeder A finds and works closely with  ethical breeders B, C,  D and E who
also live in the area.........or elsewhere.

Each of them has and cares for three cherished bitches.

Lets do the arithmetic together..........

  Five breeders with three bitches each.......

And they each breed two of their bitches.

Now there is an on-going breeding program established between them.

And because the litters are co-bred and co-owned.............and because they
have shared the  responsibilities,  expenses, time and energy, love,
socialization, whelping, training and puppy playing time........

All of our five hypothetical breeders are........

The Breeders of Record on 10 litters.........

Wow.

There's a plan..........

And more than one person has thought of it............and tried it.

Sometimes we need to be careful what we wish for............

Especially when we are trying to plan the other guy's breeding program for him.

=;-D

Jane Kerner

  From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>