[SAS] Re: Avista LED 'upgrade' is a downgrade for night skies.

  • From: John Riegel <riegel.john@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 23:57:14 -0700

ACTION REQUESTED - PLEASE DO THIS

There has been a buzz in the local press, and the people who want to light
up the night have been far more vocal than those on this list which SUCKS.
Last week I talked to a KPBX reporter and two people at Avista.
According to Avista, the public voice is all for MORE BRIGHT LIGHTS. Yet
everyone has heard of this topic see Doug Clark's post in the Sunday paper (
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/oct/25/doug-clark-the-livin-is-easy-under-avistas-new-str/
).

But this isn't a joke, it is serious with long-term impact. Where the new
lights could be worse, they still are not the smart upgrade our community
deserves. We have an opportunity for positive change.

Please contact Avista and your local government wherever you may live and
. First read up on the topic for 15 to 30 minutes, Nick's links are all
you need to know. My summary is:

- Avista must do better, install lower power, narrow-band lights to save
money, with no impact on crime, improve health, and protect the night.
- Our municipalities can improve quality of life with zoning which
recognizes light as potential pollution which must be managed.

Light pollution is a public topic in the spot light. Please act on this
opportunity to push for zoning to protect the night; don't let the simple
costs and false crime fear win this. If we don't raise our voices Avista
will continue to slap up thousands of bright, full spectrum LEDs.

Want to organize or plan, collaborate or complain? Please call me.

John
509-869-3735

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Nick Monkman <nmonkman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(also on the website)

If you hadn't heard yet, our local utility company, Avista, is in the
process of installing hundreds of blue-white LED streetlights in the
Spokane area. These lights are, for the most part, far brighter than they
need to be. To make matters worse, the lights are on the blue side of the
spectrum which is terrible for dark-adaptation. What can we do?

1. Research! Here's a couple of recent articles and news stories about
the issue:
-

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/oct/25/doug-clark-the-livin-is-easy-under-avistas-new-str/
-

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/new-led-street-lights-get-mixed-reviews/35976920
-

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/oct/20/new-led-streetlights-are-green-but-have-some-spoka/
2. Let the your city council rep know what you think.
- https://my.spokanecity.org/citycouncil/members/
- Phone:509.625.6255
3. Let Avista know what you think
-
https://www.avistautilities.com/contact/_layouts/avista/contactus.aspx

If enough of us voice our opinion (respectfully!) there's no doubt in my
mind we can make a difference here.