[SAS] Avista LED 'upgrade' is a downgrade for night skies.

  • From: Nick Monkman <nmonkman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAS <sas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 23:17:49 -0700

(also on the website)

If you hadn't heard yet, our local utility company, Avista, is in the
process of installing hundreds of blue-white LED streetlights in the
Spokane area. These lights are, for the most part, far brighter than they
need to be. To make matters worse, the lights are on the blue side of the
spectrum which is terrible for dark-adaptation. What can we do?

1. Research! Here's a couple of recent articles and news stories about
the issue:
-

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/oct/25/doug-clark-the-livin-is-easy-under-avistas-new-str/
-

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/new-led-street-lights-get-mixed-reviews/35976920
-

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/oct/20/new-led-streetlights-are-green-but-have-some-spoka/
2. Let the your city council rep know what you think.
- https://my.spokanecity.org/citycouncil/members/
- Phone:509.625.6255
3. Let Avista know what you think
-
https://www.avistautilities.com/contact/_layouts/avista/contactus.aspx

If enough of us voice our opinion (respectfully!) there's no doubt in my
mind we can make a difference here.