[sanesecurity] Re: [sanesecurity_announce] new databases

  • From: "Steve Basford" <steveb_clamav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:00:43 -0000

> Den 2012-02-15 14:46, Brian Evans skrev:
>
>> Simply add the ones you want to ss_dbs section of your config.
>
> # freshclam.conf for 0.97.3
> DatabaseCustomURL http://clamav.bofhland.org/bofhland_cracked_URL.ndb
> DatabaseCustomURL http://clamav.bofhland.org/bofhland_malware_URL.ndb
> DatabaseCustomURL http://clamav.bofhland.org/bofhland_phishing_URL.ndb

Hi All,

Just a couple of notes for those who want to use the above in freshclam
directly.

While the above freshclam option has it's advantages it's also got a few
of disadvantages:

a) it will hit bofhland.org server... and I am not sure above much
bandwidth they are able to take, that's load is being distributed between
17 mirrors

b) it will hit the bofhland.org server 3 times (one for each database) and
download the fill database, instead of just the changes like rsync does.

c) the DatabaseCustomURL doesn't check for signed signatures, whereas the
current rsync download scripts do

So, ideally using the rsync download scripts is the recommended way.

Cheers,

Steve
Sanesecurity