[sac-forum] Observing Site Distances

  • From: Paul Dickson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC Forum <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 05:34:30 -0700

Distances to observing sites (straight-line from downtown Phoenix):

                        Dark    Drive
    Site        Dist    Dist    Dist    Direction

    Antennae    89mi    79mi    91mi    W
    5mi Meadow  98mi    73mi    144mi   N
    Sentinel    77mi    67mi    99mi    SW
    Cherry Rd   75mi    55mi    84mi    N
    Flatiron    48mi    38mi    60mi    WNW
    Vekol Rd    47mi    37mi    68mi    S
    Boyce Thomp 55mi    33mi    62mi    E
    Stone Haven 35mi    25mi    48mi    S

Dark distance measured from 101 and 202 freeways, except the Carefree
Highway was used for sites to the north.

Drive distance is from the I-10/I-17 interchange ("the Stack").  Mile
posts 142/200 respectively.

The distance for 5mi Meadow is estimated, has anyone recorded the actual
distances?  If Stoneman Lake Rd were passable, it would only reduce the
mileage by 8 to 12 miles (the greater savings if you approached the site
directly from Happy Jack).

Please post if you have more accurate driving distances.

        -Paul