[sac-forum] Re: Lunar Observing . . .

  • From: "David Hofland" <hofland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:47:08 -0500

    Oh yeah, I am "working on" all three of those.  But my approach now is
somewhat different than it was when I was doing the Messier, 110 Best of the
NGC, and the H-400.  When I did those lists, like most I suppose, I was really
focused on list target objects, you know, find one, log it and go on to another
list object.   Anyway, what I do now is rather like walking the beach picking
up shells.  I start by picking a target constellation, and then, using Skytools
database search, I use the computer to select for me a number of objects from
that constellation that are bright and pretty easy in the 16", say mag 13 or
brighter.  I tell skytools to eliminate all objects that I've already logged,
and that creates a list for that constellation.  Depending on the night I have
coming up I may pick more than one constellation, but usually just one that is
placed well to observe for the night (or early morning) in question. Then when
I am out, I will start of course with an object on the list and observe it, and
then look around on the Skytools chart and see what else is nearby and, one by
one, I'll just move from object to object observing until I run out of nearby
objects, then I pick another object from the list and off we go again.  I know
that after a while I'm going to get to a point where if I go back and look at
the Herschel II or the SAC 110 Best Beyond, I will have logged most of them and
will clean up the ones few remaining at that time.  But right now I am having a
lot of fun just observing and not really being "list" focused.  Of course it is
likely that I'll have the 1000 New Objects award before the other two going at
it this way but we'll see.  I have logged over 560 deep sky objects towards the
1000 New so far.
    Everything other than the last few H-400s was with my 10" Starfinder Dob,
upgraded with a custom primary and secondary coatings from Spectrum (Max-R EAL
98% primary) and a MoonLite CR-1 focuser.  Everything since then has been with
my Lightbridge 16, also upgraded with Spectrum coated primary and secondary
mirrors, Moonlite CR-2 focuser, and Astro-tech 66mm ED Apo finderscope. If you
read the magazine Amateur Astronomy I wrote an article about how I made a few
improvements to my Lightbridge to fix some of the design flaw problems that
will be in issue #60 in three months.
    Basically my backyard is my "dark sky site".  Mag 5 to 5.3 is about as good
as it gets here at home.  I have visited the Birmingham AL club at their site
on Chandler mountain once and it was really no better than home, and no coffee
so I have not gone back there :-)    I also visited one glorious June 2007
night with the Chattanooga Club (Barnard Astronomy Club) at their site (Orion
Acres) with mag 6 ish skies but I've not been back again mostly due to we just
haven't had a good weekend of weather to do so on a weekend I could go.  I
joined the Chiefland Village club a few months ago but have not found the
opportunity to get down there yet, again mostly due to weather not being good
for the trip.  My little local club here in Jacksonville where I work, we have
a farm we use as our club star party site, its about mag 5 at best.  But 99% or
my observing is at home.
    Hey I'm really impressed with you completing the H-400 with an 8" from
suburban skies! I had a time for a few of those from my home with a 10".  And I
also gotta say that, while the Herschel II is a bit challenging, that 110 Best
Beyond has got some real tough ones on there for mag 5 skies even with the 16!
I am jealous as heck to have the desert dark skies you guys get there in
Phoenix.  But one day I'll join you.  until I do though I think the 110 BB will
be a real tough one for me. How is that for you and the 11?  Gee if you can get
a lot of that list with an 11 that's something.

David Hofland
Director, Student Services
College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Jacksonville State University