[sac-board] Re: Star Party Liability

  • From: "Andrew Goodwin" <a.goodwin1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 21:25:06 -0700

  Concerning the Flat Iron site. I spoke with the owner of the property
about our using the site and was told that he and his partners were ok with
it. He did say that he could just say no and we continue to use it (thus
removing the owners from any liability). He did not see any problem as we
have our own insurance and we pose no threat to the property (fires and
such) I could tell that this man was an attorney from the way he used words
to side step the issue. I was finally able to pin him down to one question,
yes or no can we use the site for our club star parties? And he did say yes.
Of coarse there are no witnesses to this conversation and he did not want to
meet with our officers to get it in writing. If the board thinks it is
necessary I will call him again to get a more concrete document. We should
check into property ownership in our observing. It is easy to do. The
Maricopa web site has Gis maps that show who owns the parcels where we
observe.  I also called the ranger station and spoke with the ranger who
oversees the Cherry Road site and was told that we are fine and the signs
were posted to keep off road vehicles from tearing up the roads as to
conform with reg 404 of the clear water act (witch also covers endangered
species habitat).

Just some thoughts.

Andrew Goodwin.