[sac-board] Re: Help requested from the Planetarium Director at the Science Center

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:28:13 -0700

It is true that this offer would involve getting folks to "volunteer" at
the Science Center.  Not necessarily an unpleasant activity!!  (I'm
pretty sure it would also involve having to sit in on the latest
Planetarium and IMAX shows - for free, tsk, tsk., not to mention the
latest exhibits in the Science Center....)

Volunteers get to share their enthusiasm for astronomy and science with
the general public.

IMHO, It is very easy to get downtown to the facility, either by car or
bus.  Take the 7th Street exit off the freeway (East- or West-bound), go
south about 4 blocks and turn onto Washington Street (one way west),
then go past the Science Center to the next street and turn north to the
parking garage.

Re: parking, the Science Center validates the parking ticket for the
garage just north of the Heritage Square area.  The charge is about
$2-$3. (NOT the typical $11 to $15 parking for athletic events!!)   When
you go there, Don't park in the BOB high-rise garage on the South side
of Washington! The Heritage Square parking garage is "off-limits" to
people attending other events such as athletics at the BOB, so ample
parking for the museums is always available.

We have been getting a nearly "free ride" for so long, I guess people
are not used to "paying".   SAC is just about the cheapest
"entertainment" going.  Just go out for an evening at a movie, or better
yet, add up your tickets, hot dogs, etc. etc. for ANY athletic event.
Or even look at your cable TV bill......

As far as "schlepping stuff", you can temporarily park in the Bus Lane
on the north side of Washington behind the Science Center and bring
stuff in through the back door.  We have done it that way every year for
the Astronomy Day show.

The statement that the Science Center "makes a profit" is erroneous. It
is a non-profit museum facility sponsored by the City of Phoenix,
supported by tax dollars and the admission fees (just like all
musuems).  Of course the city budget doesn't cover everything, esp. for
helpers, so volunteers are always needed.

Personally, I am willing to go whever my friends gather for astronomy
activities.

I would like to see SAC have at least one meeting each year at the
Science Center, to enjoy the latest planetarium program.

(More than my "two cents worth", I guess.)
Gene Lucas
(17250)